Monday, April 14

Poor?

My bank account is dry. In fact, it's in the red due to a couple overdrafts. I barely managed to get home from work this morning, and I may not have if it weren't for the $3.80 I got in gas. ($.80 in cash, $3 from another now-empty bank account.) I missed out on a few things because of this, like having (fresh and healthy) food, and being able to go to church.

But it's not so bad living so basically. It doesn't bother me so much (perhaps not as much as it should). I have most of my needs met, and I'm fairly content just sitting here in my cluttered room, drinking some tea my mom gave me, avoiding homework and listening to M83. I spent nearly 5 hours curled up on our love seat, watching Star Wars today, right after a nice bike ride. It does bug me, though, to know that I'm going to have to put a deposit down on a new place sometime soon, and I'm not sure if I'll have the dough. I'm also not sure if I'll have a job this summer, at least, not right away.

I used to think having all of these responsibilities of bills and whatnot was such an unwanted pain in the ass, but they're not so bad (if you can meet them). Like my Grandpa De Haan and my dad before me, money isn't very important to me. Once I've met basic needs of food, shelter, and transportation, I'm okay. Granted, it's nice to have so you can bless others or live a little more comfortably, but I don't fit with this idea of needing success through money. Maybe that's the farmer or the preacher in me.

But I get paid tomorrow, and it's going to be nice to be able to pay Mitch for utilities, get some milk and bread (and maybe some bananas?), and put a few gallons in ol' Scott. The Lord does provide.

In the mean time, I need to get to bed so I can wake up tomorrow and get to campus to wrap-up a couple papers. I don't know if I'll be passing Studies in Nonfiction even if I do. Man, I just want to write poems or work on a couple essays instead, but I've been having such a hard time even doing that lately.

Goodnight!

1 comment:

jacheree said...

I'm graduating in December... and it can't come soon enough! How about you?

And yeah, money basically sucks. But it's good to know that having more valuable valuables in your life (awesome friends & family you can rely on & enjoy... good morals... a will to live... all that jazz!) makes up for the lack of finances. I won't lie though... I'm sick of being a completely broke ass college kid. 4 1/2 years of that is ENOUGH! :)